WEST Complementary Courses
We are excited to continue our WEST End Career and Technology Foundations (CTF) Complementary Courses for students and staff. This unique CTF program continues to allow the west end rural schools of Parkland School Division to collaborate to provide programming and additional opportunities for all students attending school at Wabamun, Entwistle, Seba Beach and Tomahawk (WEST) Schools.
What is CTF?
- CTF is a new digital curriculum for students in Grades 6 to 9.
- CTF supports flexible, interdisciplinary learning.
- CTF is designed to be a unique curriculum that allows students to learn about occupational areas. Students develop skills in the areas of business, communication, human services, resources, and technology while working through engaging challenges.
What are the benefits of CTF?
- CTF enables students to participate in hands-on learning experiences and work towards creating real-life products, presentations or services.
- When we provide students with focused time to connect deeply with an area of study, students may develop a deeper passion for it than if they are only exposed to it for a short period of time once a week. In developing a deeper understanding and passion for a particular area of study, some students may wish to continue to connect with it long after the five days of the challenge are over.
- CTF allows students to explore interests and passions while making personal connections to career possibilities by doing an in-depth study on a topic of their choosing. The CTF curriculum is meant to expose students to various combinations of occupational areas that are also a part of the Career and Technology Studies (CTS) high school program.
- Whatever you plan to do in your life, at school, at home or in your future career, CTF will provide you with a valuable set of competencies and experiences that you will be able to transfer to future school, personal and work experiences. CTF helps students apply and reinforce learnings developed in other subject areas and prepare for transition into adult roles in the family, community, workplace and/or further education.
Who is participating in CTF?
All students in Grades 6-9 in the WEST End Schools will be participating in the CTF Challenges each trimester at Seba Beach School. All CTF Challenges are a flat rate of $40 per challenge per child, for a total of $120 for the year.
Each CTF teacher has created challenges to fit within the CTF Curriculum. At the end of each term, there will be a “Showcase” day for students to share their product, service or performance developed through the term. We are very excited for these challenges and can’t wait to see the students grow in areas that they are truly passionate about!